Saturday 22 October 2011

Transformations/Innovative Pedagogies (Karen F)

According to Chiong and Shuler 2010, popular use of smart phones has exploded in the past few years, and the mobile media revolution is an increasing influence on family communication patterns, starting with very young children. Studies have demonstrated that young children are using smart mobile devices. They like them, and they are good at using them. Trends suggest that preschool and primary-age kids may soon be using smart mobile devices seamlessly – first at home and then perhaps in the classroom of 2015 as a normal part of growing up in the digital age.
Since I have been researching mobile media I have realised that I need to be an active digital participant. Two weeks ago I received an ipad for work use and yesterday I signed up for an iphone. I am determined to put these items to good educational use. Last month I also purchased a Kindle and I am really enjoying it. I can see real potential for Kindle’s in our school library. If young children are going to be using mobile media as a matter of course in their learning then by the time they get to me in high school I will be left behind if I don’t start now. Education in its broadest sense is about generating new knowledge so that students are enabled to lead constructive lives, which include work, leisure and family. (Wall and Ryan, 2010) If I don’t keep abreast of current learning styles and methods I will have no new knowledge to offer. As quoted in Lifelong Learning, Connected Magazine, a recent Morgan Stanely report stated that mobile use of the web will surpass desktop use by 2015. Many schools, my own included are already moving away from desktops. Several of my students have used the Internet on their mobile phones for research when we do not have access to computers.
I have been researching apps suitable for class use but have been inundated with what is available. I have decided to get my year 10 students to research apps suitable for our Business class and then I will download a few options and with my students we will start using them. The aim of my having a school ipad is to research ipad use and see if there is a place in the classroom for a class set or possibly as a 1-1 device and how best to implement them. Research has shown me that there is a place for mobile media in the classroom, I just need to find, where is the best place? They need to be authentic and in context and not just a way of saying that I use mobile media in my classroom.
One of the concerns with apps is can they successfully sustain young children’s interest and learning? As quoted in the report, Greystripe (2009) found that adult iPhone users spend an average of 9.6 minutes with an app each session, and use a particular app, on average 19.9 times before they stop using it. The learning study confirmed that interest in the apps can be fleeting, but it also revealed insights into how to sustain interest. This is an issue for me as well as I don’t devote the appropriate time to researching and finding the most appropriate apps. I am not one of those adults that uses an app 19.9 times before losing interest (Greystripe 2009). I am more likely to use it 5.9 times and then lose interest. However I have now realised that I need to give more time (and patience) to researching, learning and using mobile devices.
I have also harnessed the social nature of the internet. A group of students in one of my classes regularly use Facebook and they are friends with each other. When assessment is coming up I get them to remind each other of it on Facebook, especially if someone is not in class when I am reminding them. They regularly can tell me school related things about each other from what was said the night before on Facebook.
Teachers, who for centuries have been the centre of learning in the classroom, are seeing increasingly distracted students struggle to stay focused and succeed. I need to change my methods to hold students' attention and teach the appropriate use of technology.
New technologies would not be there in such abundance if no one was interested. I believe the benefits of mobile media far outweigh the problems they create and I plan to get on board the technology express. As my own usage rate and my confidence increase I am more able to integrate them appropriately into my own teaching practices.
References
Chiong, C., & Shuler, C., (2010) Learning: Is there an app for that? Investigations of young children’s usage and learning with mobile devices and apps. New York: The Joan Ganz Cooney Centre at Sesame Workshop
Greystripe (April 2009) Greystripe Consumer Insights Report. Retrieved from http://www.greystrips.com/aboutgreystrips/reports/.
Wall, J., &Ryan S., (2010) Resourcing for Curriculum Innovation: Learning in a Changing World, Acerpress, Vic, Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment